Friday, November 25, 2011

And then 2.5 years later...

... I decide that maybe this little old blog needs some love.

Since my last little illo (that adorable mangy dog at Karnak in Luxor below), this is the illo bloggerel that has happened to me:


- I did illos for an iphone app: Beware Madame la Guillotine

- I did illos for a local tea house's online yarn shop: L'OisiveThé

- I attended a SCBWI workshop on portfolios given by the lovely John Shelley (because the above two fell into my lap and so I went to this workshop because damn! what if I actually hunted work down?  THERE COULD BE MAGIC)  I have as yet done nothing about that portfolio thing.  Not because I'm lazy... ahem... it's just that peripheral bill paying thing gets in the darn way and by the time I get home, all I want to do is be alone with my book.



Non illo related since Karnak the snoozy (besides the F/T job, commute blah blah blah):

- I had a baby (she's now 18 months - Highs and Lows like crazy from her conception to today)

- I started reading for a French publishing house (between 2 and 3 books... a week).

- I started paperwork for my family to move to Canada.  Immigration paperwork is a real soul sucker and I have no idea if we'll ever jump to the other side of the pond.  Which is sort of depressing in that that paperwork will likely be filed into a dark cubby with feral spiders if we don't.


*  *  *


I used to have an "everyday" blog.  I liked it.  It was fun.  I used to tell stories about my life and parenthood and bizarre things that I'd note down as an expat in Paris.  I loved spinning a yarn and fooling around with language.

My husband, however, hated it with a passion because my stories were too personal.  It caused arguments because according to my husband, the internet is a dark, evil place.  I resisted for ages and ages because damn it, no way is anyone going to tell me what to do...

But I lost the joy.... Slowly.  So I stopped.  I don't blame my husband for this unraveling... rather...  I shuffled my attention to Facebook and Twitter because my interest in blogging on the whole had waned: I stopped reading blogs too.  I think a lot of people did at around the same time.  I think I got tired of the pressure of trying to keep up with the internet joneses who actually have people that read them and have stuff meaningful to say.

It's hard to come up with "meaningful" things to say (if you get my blogging drift) every day.  It's tiring and when I get right down to it, it isn't something I like to actually read, let alone write.  I dig the silly.

However, it was a little "embarrassing" when I was invited by SCBWI's local chapter to give a talk on "the professional importance of blogging" and all I had as examples were rusty blogs that hadn't seen the light of day in over 2 years.  I gave the talk and hoped that nobody noticed.

Yes, my other blog led to a book cover but since then?  Crickets.




*  *  *



I've decided that I don't want to revive that blog: it was a disorganised mish-mash of everything that struck my fancy along with rants and phooeys...  It made me feel hopelessly unprofessional despite its "authenticity".

I've decided that it's finally time to take my illustration career seriously, so this is the blog I want to revive, though it's dusty and dark and nobody associates it with me.  I gave that talk as a professional speaking to professionals so maybe I should follow my own example if I want to be credible.

And I love the title I gave it.



*  *  *



If you've gotten this far, these are my short-term objectives:

- A board book that I've storyboarded needs to be carried through to fruition.  I based my storyboard on Goodnight Gorilla (which LĂ©na ADORES) which has 7 spreads (is this standard?).  I've worked out most of the character studies and I've already decided on my medium: pen & ink... in color (mental note: buy the ink).

- More immediately though, I've decided to brave a SCBWI contest.  It's the drawing of a scene where Chicken Licken and his posse of birds meets up with Turkey Lurkey.  My idea is a bit... unorthodox.  And it's pen & ink and potentially hand crippling.  The deadline is December 15th.  I'll post it December 16th (huzzah! Accountability!).

- I have been participating in Picture Book Idea Month and I have some neat ideas that I never would have had otherwise.  I won't necessarily complete the challenge by having 30, but I will have some to ponder that I think could lead somewhere fun.

- Get more involved generally.  I'm not sure how I'll push myself but this blog needs to be for illos (obvs)... I'll try for one a week... On Mondays.  If anyone that's gotten this far has other ideas, shoot.  Maybe skype critiques?  I have some friends that do it...  Anybody need a partner?


Long term:

- Get my portfolio together.  Show it.  Finally embrace what I love without the fear of failure.




*  *  *



But why am I telling you all that?  What was all that stuff here above? What.Is.The.Point?

I don't know.

Actually, if I'm going to be honest, I don't think I'm telling it to "you".

I'm telling it to "me".

I'm telling myself to get my act in gear and that I can do this.  I can.

I can.

6 comments:

Dana said...

And you will!
Keep us "posted"...sorry bad pun.
:)

Anonymous said...

You write beautifully. Good to read. Great goals and objectives! Linda

JChevais said...

Dana: I will definitely keep you posted. Blogging mojo. Hmm. It's been so long.

JChevais said...

Linda: Thank you. It's kind of you to say. I'm pleased to say that I worked out my draft illo for the contest (one short term goal down already! Air punch!). It's probably not as detailed as some people will hand in, but it's a style that I enjoy, which is everything.

meredith said...

Go for it. I love your drawings...so tell me more about them here :)

JChevais said...

Will do Meredith. Thank you!